Microsoft Press Conference


The Microsoft Press Conference started off with some interesting footage of the new Halo, and from what I saw, it looks like it could be really good. It basically looks just like more Halo, but I'm going to give 343 Industries the benefit of the doubt and say that I think the story might actually be an interesting new direction for the Halo franchise. After Halo though, it was a while before there was anything really worth mentioning.

Microsoft had an EA guy come out and talk about kinect support for sports games, which I'm guessing literally no one cares about, a trailer for the new Gears of War that doesn't get me too excited, some Tomb Raider gameplay which looks interesting, but is not something I'm getting too excited about, a trailer and gameplay for Resident Evil 6 that actually looked pretty good, and finally, an interesting, yet almost completely uninformative trailer for TwistedPixel's next game called LocoCycle. All this stuff wasn't too bad, but I guess it wasn't anything I was getting too excited to see. I would have liked to see some more than just a trailer for the Gears of War game, as well as LocoCycle (I'm not 100% sure if that "C" is capitalized or not...oh well, screw it), so there's really nothing all that new to say about most of those games.



There was also some boring, yet possibly important, talk about something called Xbox Smart Glass, which allows you to use your smart phone and tablet devices to interact with what you are doing on the Xbox. There was also some talk about bringing Internet Explorer to Xbox, but I'm just going to say we should wait to see what actually happens with that considering we already know that the wonderful, not at all completely useless and slow browsers have succeeded on the PS3 and Wii.  All the Smart Glass and Internet Explorer stuff could be cool, but you're never truly going to know how well implemented it is until it releases to the public, so I say lets just hold off our talk on that stuff.

And this brings me to the next thing that was actually interesting, at least for me. They showed a fairly long trailer of the new South Park game, and also had Matt Stone and Trey Parker come out on stage to talk about working on their new game. One of the things they really harped on was making the game look exactly like the show, and that's something I really hope they've accomplished. The trailer revealed that you are playing as the new kid that just moved in, so you will basically be able to create a whole new character for to use in the South Park universe, which I actually think is a really good idea rather than letting you control either Stan, Kyle, Cartman, or Kenny. Their presentation was really the only one that didn't feel slightly awkward and stilted. They even started off by poking fun at the whole Xbox Smart Glass thing that was talked about earlier. You never know whether your going to get something horrible or something great when it comes to South Park games, so I'm really hoping they pull this one off.

The press conference trialed off with a rather dull performance by Usher to promote Dance Central 3, but hey, they got Usher...right? Then they closed with some Black Ops 2 gameplay that really just proved to me that this game is probably nothing special, but who knows, maybe it will be amazing when it comes out. Maybe this game will blow the doors off everything we know about first person shoot. Maybe we will all be voicing universal praise for the next ground breaking entry into the Call of Duty franchise. I mean...it could happen...right guys...?

No comments:

Post a Comment