EA Press Conference



Hey guys! Do you like shooting dudes? Do you like sports games? Do you like racing games? Do you like horrible social games? Do you like being asked to play games months after they come out because the company wants, no NEEDS more money from you? Well than do I have a press conference summary for you.

That basically sums up the EA Press Conference this afternoon. It started off with a fairly interesting trailer for Dead Space 3, but apparently they are changing a lot of what that game is, and maybe not for the best. In any case, I'm still pretty excited for it seeing as I loved the last two Dead Space games. It was a pretty good start to the show, but it was basically all down hill from there. Other than some footage of the much awaited new SimCity game, some gameplay of Criterion's Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and the announcement that UFC has now joined forces with EA even though Dana White has had a history of talking mad shit about the company, the EA press conference was basically a blur. Honestly, if it wasn't for me writing down everything as I saw it, I probably wouldn't be able to regurgitate half the stuff I saw. I have found myself looking at this piece of paper saying, "Oh yeah, that happened."



So, lets run down some of the stuff that happened. First, Madden is now going to be using the Infinity Engine for more realistic gameplay, but I'm still extremely skeptical whether or not they can actually make a good NFL game, or if that's even possible to do with such a crazy sport. Then, they kind of hampered my excitement for the new SimCity by announcing their awful crack at social gaming with SimCity Social. I'm actually not sure if that is exclusively a facebook game or how all that is going to work, but the shots they showed made it look an awful lot like farmville. I'm no farmville expert, but everything I saw in that trailer made it look like Zynga was making that game. Anyway, I have no idea why I'm spending so much time talking about garbage that no one should ever play, so lets move on. SimCity looked pretty awesome, and although the art looked a little more on The Sims side of cartoony, I still can't wait to sink my teeth into a new SimCity let alone hear more details about the game.

From there we have DICE and Bioware begging you to come back to play there games and give them more money, followed by more same old shooting dudes action with Medal of Honor: Warfighter. Which, by the way, continues to receive the appropriate level of comical criticism over the ridiculous name Warfighter. There was an announcement dealing with something called Madden NFL Social that was trying its hardest to get me to stop paying attention, and then there was some FIFA 13 talk where the guy literally said that their new engine would take out the perfect touches that you need to expect from a sports game if you want to have any fun playing it against other people. Its seems that even the internationally loved FIFA franchise is not protected from people who have no idea what makes a sports game fun.

As the press conference drew to a close there was suddenly something to care about. Surprisingly, UFC's Dana White actually came out on stage to talk about the new deal with EA. At about that same time this press release surfaced about THQ giving up their license most likely because of their recent financial trouble. I never did play those UFC games because I've never really been into UFC, but I heard they were pretty good. Let's hope EA can continue this with their newly aquired UFC license.

Lastly, the hilight of the press conference other than SimCity was Criterion's Need for Speed: Most Wanted.  There was some pretty awesome gameplay footage, and as always, I am super excited to see what Criterion's doing next. I still have this crazy dream in my head that one day EA will somehow convince all the car manufacturers to let Criterion create realistic crashing with licenses cars, but until that improbable day comes I guess I'll just have to live with an only slightly damaged car after I run head on into a guard rail at 150 mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment